I made a much needed trip to Columbus yesterday for work because my cubicle was moved to a different part of the building (and because I haven't been down there since September!!). I was truly dreading this trip for so many reasons - first, I knew that my badge to get in the building had expired, so I knew that it would be a hassle to even get in, but I thought that they would give me a visitor's pass and I would have to have my boss sign some paperwork. Second, once I got in, I would have no idea where my cube was (there are over 3000 employees in my building). Third and most importantly, my current end date is nearing (June 30th) and I have been unable to get any information about whether Cardinal plans to extend me. Let's just say - I was more than a little stressed!
I got to Cardinal a little before 8:30 and sure enough...my badge had expired, but instead of the visitor's pass - they wouldn't even let me in without talking to my boss. Well, he wasn't in yet - so I just sat there and waited...after about 10 minutes, one of my teammates came in and he signed something and they let me through the gate. The good news was that he was able to show me where our new section was, so I didn't have to worry about searching for my new cube. Shortly after, I ran into my boss and I gave him the paperwork that he needed to fill out for me and he told me that he wanted to meet with me at 2:00 - it was 8:45 at the time - so I spent all day stressing. I had a bunch of work to do yesterday and I went out to lunch with some of my team members, but all I could think about was my meeting with my boss. 2:00 rolled around and I headed over to my boss' office, sweating. Luckily, he got right to the point - and informed me that he has budgeted to have me all of FY11 - till NEXT JUNE! He said that his budget hasn't been approved yet, but he didn't anticipate anything that would cause it not to get approved because Cardinal is having a better than expected year! I couldn't believe it!! I was hoping to get to September, so I almost fainted when he said June! He said that my setup (working from home) has been working out great and had nothing but nice things to say! WHAT A RELIEF!! I won't be able to say that it is 100% for a couple weeks - but I would say it is about 98.5%. Since it was going so well, I also decided to throw in my 2 week honeymoon plans - and he was totally fine with that as well. Talk about 1000 tons being lifted off my shoulders!!
I was so excited when I left his office and I got back to my desk and about 30 minutes later, it felt like I hit a brick wall! All of the stress and emotion just drained every ounce of energy that I had. I don't know how I was able to stay awake on my drive home, but when I got home, I crashed! I fell asleep at 8:00 on the couch, woke up at 11:30 to go upstairs, and slept till this morning! I am just so thankful that my boss is giving me longer than 3 months at a time now - that was incredibly tough on me!
Congratulations love! I am so happy for you :) I can't wait to see you NEXT week for the big celebration! So excited! :)
ReplyDelete