Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Bubby Swimmin'



Bubby's never been what I would call a "water dog"...and he wasn't too thrilled about being in the bathtub. Unfortunately, this therapy doesn't seem to do much for Bubs because as you can see in the video, he doesn't really use his back legs at all and that is the whole purpose of this. What a funny boy, though!

We also got to pay the vet another visit today, but this time, for Phil. He has had a bad eye infection for almost a week that keeps getting worse. When he woke up this morning, his eye was half sealed shut. I decided it was about time to get him some medicine because the saline solution and warm compresses that I have been using obviously weren't doing the trick.  While we were there, I figured we should just get all of his vaccines, rabies and heartworm/flea medicine not knowing that when my mother said that she was going to step out of the exam room to get a tissue, she was actually stepping out to give the front desk her credit card.  Meanwhile, I am telling them to do this and that and give me a year's supply of medicine and then I went to the desk to check-out, I realized what Mom had done.  As much as I appreciated it, I was really upset that she did that.  I would have NEVER included all of the other tests/vaccines/medications if I knew, so I felt really bad.

Today also included one of the saddest things I have ever seen in my life. While we were sitting in the waiting room at the vet, there was an old man with his little dog sitting in his lap. The nurse was talking to him and as we sat down, we overheard their conversation about whether he wanted the dog cremated or not.  Once he made his decision to cremate the dog, the nurse asked if he wanted to be with the dog while they did it.  He said no.  She then asked if he wanted a few minutes to say goodbye.  Mom & I were sitting there trying to hold back tears.  Then she came over and took this precious little dog into the back and it took every ounce of energy I had not to lose it.  The man got up and wandered around and I had tears streaming down my face.  Then the nurse came back out and handed him the collar.  I lost it.  I had Phil in my lap and I hid my face in his back, sobbing.  OMG...it was horrible.  It took me a few minutes to get it back together and then I was angry.  Why in the world would they (the vet) not take care of a situation like that in a private place so that all of their other customers wouldn't have to witness such an awful thing.  I really wanted to say something to the vet, but I didn't.  My eyes teared up just writing about it.  What a sad, sad situation that was.

2 comments:

  1. That is the saddest thing ever. I couldn't imagine having to sit there and see that.

    ReplyDelete