I could not have asked for a better patient. Bubby has been improving so much every day and he is just the best boy. He stayed pretty immobile the first couple days after we had him home - he would only move around when he was outside going to the bathroom. He was still having a lot of trouble with his back legs and he mostly walked on the top of his foot, but each day he was doing it less and less. He was also spending about 90% of the day sleeping.
The last couple days, though, he has really perked up and he is walking much better. He still wobbles a lot and every once in a while one of his back legs gives out, but I have not seen him walk on the top of his foot for a day or two. He's been having lots of visitors, too. Mom & Sam have visited every day since we got him home and Dad has been over a couple times to see him and Grandma came over today with some yummy chicken. Phillie even came over yesterday for a little bit. He really likes visitors because I let him go greet them once they get onto the carpet. Otherwise, he stays in his padded area by doctor's orders. The doctor said that he needs to stay in a confined space for at least 2 weeks. We put one of those egg carton foam pads down with a blanket over it and he has his two favorite beds. We rolled up towels and a blanket to put around the perimeter of the gate/cage. It's about 4' x 4' and very comfy.
He goes in for a check-up next Thursday and then he starts his hydrotherapy. We will have to fill up our bathtub upstairs and have him swim a couple times a day, but we have to wait for his stitches to heal. We have been doing physical therapy with him now - but I think it is more for the dogs that aren't able to walk. It's basically just moving their legs around and lightly pinching his toes to get him to pull his leg away. He's not a big fan of it.
I am just so happy that he is doing so well! I can't believe that he is recovering from major back surgery so quickly! A week ago, we didn't know if he would ever walk again and now, a week after surgery, he's walking all by himself and doing better every day. I couldn't be happier!
WOW! I can't believe all this happened. Poor bubby! So glad to hear he is mending well though. LOVE YOU!
ReplyDelete