Sunday, February 5, 2012

The End of Swaddling

I would highly recommend swaddling to any new mother!  I hadn't gotten more than 2 hours of sleep for the first month of Grady's life.  Then, we re-introduced swaddling and it was like we had a different baby!  Since then, he has been swaddled every night in a Halo SwaddleSack and has been a really good sleeper...until this past Thursday.  I have known for a while that his swaddling days were coming to an end.  Most nights, his arms would be out of it by morning anyway.  I was extremely nervous to stop swaddling him at night because I really thought that he would go back to waking up every 2 hours, but amazingly, he has slept just as good - if not better - since we stopped.  On Thursday, he was really fussy after I put him down to sleep and I put my hand on his stomach (which is where his arms are in the swaddle) and he was radiating heat.  I put my hand up into the swaddle to feel his hands and they were soaked with sweat.  That was it.  I was done with the swaddle.  I took him out of it expecting the worst and he ended up sleeping till 6:30, going back to sleep and waking up around 9 - which is the best of his sleep schedules.  We have not swaddled him since and I am so relieved that the transition wasn't as horrible as I thought it would be!

No comments:

Post a Comment