Sunday, November 21, 2010

Pre-Thanksgiving Thanksgiving

Since we will be in CT for Thanksgiving this year, we decided to do a pre-Thanksgiving Thanksgiving with my family yesterday.  I'm so glad we did.  The whole family was here - even my brother David who came all the way up from West Virginia.  We cooked a huge Thanksgiving feast and everyone was over to watch the OSU - Iowa game.  We made SO MUCH food!!  And Greg even made a couple apple pies - which were delicious.  We feasted and then played games until pretty late.  We had such a wonderful day together!


We did have a little trouble with the bird - but it turned out perfect!  I was very concerned because we had a 22-lb. bird, but it didn't exactly fit in the roaster.  Sam used a combination of bricks from my patio and wrenches wrapped in foil and it worked like a charm.  It will affectionately be called our "Red-neck Thanksgiving" for many years to come, I'm sure.


We put out hors d'oeuvres for game time...there was no shortage of food!


I am getting better and better at party hosting.  Each time I am much more prepared and I absolutely love having everyone at our house.  My in-laws will be here for Christmas this year - which will be so much fun!  The wedding gave me a new appreciation for table settings, too.  I just need to get a bigger dining room table so that I don't have to pull the morning room table in.


Look at all of this food!!!


We had turkey, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, corn casserole, stuffing, pistachio pudding, cranberry gelatin salad, salad and cheddar biscuits.  It was definitely a joint effort between me, my mom and my grandma!

I LOVE this pic - it's definitely a framer!


Bitsy was sleeping while we were playing Catch Phrase and she looked so adorable I had to grab my camera!


Our pre-Thanksgiving Thanksgiving was a huge success!

Friday was Bubby's 6th birthday - I just can't believe it.  It feels like I was blogging about his 5th birthday a week ago!  Where does the time go?!?

Mom came over and gave Bubby some presents during the day and he got his birthday steak later that night.


Phil wanted some presents, too.


Waiting for some steak.... (Phil always gets some, too.)


The Birthday Boy!


Today, Greg and I were on the hunt for a new Christmas tree!  While I really appreciate and love my old hand-me-down tree, it was time to upgrade.  The tree I have been using was given to me when I living in my teeny-tiny apartment on Northwood my senior year of college.  It was only 6 1/2 feet tall and really skinny which looked really funny in our living room with 9 feet tall ceilings.  So after I cleaned the house this morning, I started doing some research on Xmas trees.  Turns out, Home Depot had a really great deal on a pre-lit tree and it had the most lights and branches that I could find in my price range.  Greg and I went up to our local Home Depot that is about a mile away, and of course, they were sold out already - even though the sale just started this morning.  It was 1-something.  So they looked to see what other Home Depots in the area had them in stock.  Luckily the one in Medina, which is about 20 minutes away, had a couple, so we went up there and got it.  It is perfect!  I set it up right when we got home and it took me about 2 hours to puff the branches.  I haven't put the ornaments on it yet but just having the tree up makes me so happy!  It's so nice to come home from CT after Thanksgiving to a decorated house!



We are leaving for CT on Wednesday after Greg gets home from work - so it will be a long drive (Thanksgiving traffic) and a very late night.  We are really excited to see our CT family, though!  And Christie and I are planning to spend some girl-time together on Friday!  Greg's 10-year reunion is Saturday night - thank goodness the OSU-Michigan game is at noon!  And then Sunday morning, we head back home.  But we will blink and it will be Christmas!

Today was also my last full day being a brunette!!!  I cannot wait to be a blonde again.  Although I have gotten used to the brunette hair and it has lightened up a lot, it's just not me.  I'm going to be a much darker blonde, but at least it will be blonde.  I definitely gave it shot - it has been almost 2 months!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, ha ha! I was just looking at the family picture thinking how nice your hair looked and then I got to the last paragraph! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course though, it looks great blonde too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with both of Katy's comments - you are gorgeous no matter what color your hair is - even pink!!! I do love that family picture - wish I could get all of my family in a room for a picture together.

    ReplyDelete